Thursday, March 03, 2011

fresh laundry on the line...

when i was younger my mom always hung our laundry out to dry, provided there weren't snowflakes falling from the sky of course. i remember the sweet smell of outdoors, sunshine, and detergent infused into each garment, watching sheets flap in the breeze, and the task of taking the clothes off the line. i was always impressed with her skill to use as few clothespins as possible, linking the clothes together, so that she wouldn't run out. i guess when you have that much laundry you figure things out pretty quickly.

yesterday was a glorious warm day and laundry day as well. since i have switched to cloth diapers it has become laundry day every three days. i've had many people tell me their opinions of cloth diapering, most of which were negative, but i have to admit that i love it. i may be doing a bit more laundry, but i no longer have a garbage full of diapers! matt is skeptical that this switch is saving us money, however i think he'd be shocked at how much disposables are and how many our boy uses. i took his concern into consideration though, and instead of using the dryer i put our clothesline to use. thanks to him i not only got to reminisce and be green, but it made for a cool photo too.

drying nappies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

I wish I would have started with cloth with William. I don't think the movement back to cloth had gained momentum yet back then so I never even thought about it, and then by the time I had Henry, I considered it, and then again, with Elliot, but never made the leap.

Staci said...

I second Renee's comment. In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd started with cloth at the get-go. But now I can't imagine switching over, and at the time, I wanted nothing to do with it. Hindsight...

And who would have thought that a bunch of diapers could ever have made such a fun picture. I don't think that's something I could pull off with the disposables. :)